Sunday, June 29, 2008

June 6: Arrival at Mai La

.
Well, I made it. The past week has been travel (and some sightseeing in Bangkok) and I arrived last night at dusk. It was an evening of confusion. I trailed behind people through the warrens of the seminary in the semi-dark not knowing where I was going. There was a worship service and a kids talent show with young girls doing Karen traditional dance and boys doing hip-hop street dance. They graciously gave me a small metal cot with a bar in the middle - I've moved to the floor. Last night was a hard bed and strange sounds. The crickets were a comfort, but the other rustlings and voicings are still a mystery. The people are warm, but shy which, added to my shyness (and yes, i am too shy) has made us hesitant. The "bathroom" is a long way from my bed over ramps and down very steep steps which definitely rules out evening drinking. It wasn't till morning that I found out where I can wash my face, and I still haven't found clean drinking water. Everyone is pretty much leaving me along. I need a Marty to help me know where to go and what to do. I followed the music to morning worship and afterwards joined the crowd at breakfast. Karen food is very spicy, and it's eaten with your hands. There's a break until morning meetings (classes start on Monday). I don't know what that is, but I'll go. I haven't started taking pictures yet...next time. This is my dry-run journal. With all of the uncertainties of the past week, my prayer life has been strong.

Marcia

*

2 comments:

Peter D. Tillman said...

Hi, Michael

It would probably be useful if you reprinted your introduction to her journal here at the start, to avoid puzzling the hell out of other readers who, like me, stumble upon the thing by accident.

Here's the link your intro, on June 30, 2008:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7935187598699283100&postID=471681624831222293

Peter D. Tillman said...

Oops, that's
http://floggingbabel.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html